1.19.2011

Identity

So I watched an episode of Hoarders today, I have to admit I never realized that a person can live in such clutter and be okay with it. I mean some of the individuals on the show just make me sick, but then I feel horrible because it may be a mental issue, due to depression, anxiety, loss of a loved one, but by all means its not going to get any better living in such horrid conditions. It really sickens me. Anyways the psychologist on the show said something useful to the hoarder today

" If you're defining yourself as a handyman, it's fine if the reason you do it is that you are actually fixing and building things, on the other hand if you're deriving that sense of identity because of the things you own, then you are actually fooling yourself"

Wonderful quote! I see many people today calming to be this and that, without having proper knowledge or experience of a particular field, or genre. I mean just because you own a couple of cook books does not make you Julia Child, and just because you purchased a brush set on sale from Hobby Lobby, you are not suddenly Picasso, and just because you have a bedroom clothed in the latest contemporary furniture with self supporting shelves, you are not an interior designer. People need to stop fooling themselves. Its time we all find one thing we are good at and become experts at it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its wrong to venture and try new things, I'm all for adventure, but please do us all a favor and don't title yourself as such and such until you are qualified. Just my two cents. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment